Responsibly manage DAISI’s finance on behalf of the Board (i.e. Chair, Secretary, Deputy Chairmen) and the stakeholders.
Reporting to the Chair and the Secretary
• Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
• Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
• Liaise with board members, office bearers, the general manager, relevant staff and volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
• Make fellow board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
• Regularly report the financial position at board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
• Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
• Ensure the annual budget is prepared in time to meet reporting responsibilities to ACNC and the ATO.
• Ensure the annual budget is available on the DAISI website for all members and stakeholders to review.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
o Cheque signatories
o Purchasing limits
o Purchasing systems
o Petty cash/ float
o Salary payments
o PAYG & MYOB payments for any paid staff
o Others as appropriate
• Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
• Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
• Undertake bookkeeping duties and/or oversee the finance officer ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date.
• Maintain the petty cash system and regularly process petty cash claims.
• Regularly carry out reconciliations/ oversee regular reconciliations by the finance volunteer.
• Arrange payments to creditors as appropriate and arrange appropriate signatures on payments.
• Make the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly.